What are Crowns and Bridges?
Crowns and bridges are devices that are permanently attached to your teeth or dental implants. They can fix imperfections in your smile such as gaps, cracks, chips, and even discoloration.
- Crowns: Crowns are designed to cover and protect a vulnerable or damaged tooth. You can also get a crown to cover up a tooth that is discolored. Crowns come in several different materials that vary in strength and color including gold, silver, and porcelain.
- Bridges: Bridges are false teeth held into place with dental implants or crowns on teeth that surround the space. They keep the rest of your teeth from drifting into the space left by the lost one, and you can get them in a variety of materials.
While crowns and bridges are two separate appliances, they have similar functions. Both are intended to preserve your full set of teeth and give you a great looking smile.
What Do Crowns and Bridges Do?
Crowns and bridges serve a variety of purposes. Crowns can:
- Cover a discolored tooth
- Protect a sensitive or damaged tooth
- Keep a tooth from fracturing
- Attach a bridge
Similarly, bridges have several benefits and purposes. They include:
- Filling an unsightly gap
- Holding your teeth in place
- Keeping your teeth aligned
Both crowns and bridges keep your smile intact and allow you to enjoy the benefits of a full mouth of teeth.
How Long Do Crowns and Bridges Last?
Crowns and bridges are highly durable and are intended to be nearly permanent. If you choose a stronger material, like silver or gold, it is likely that they will last upwards of 10 years. Crowns and bridges can come loose if you bite down hard on a solid object. If this happens, your dentist can reattach it easily or create a new one.
You should dedicate as much time and effort to care for your crowns and bridges that you commit to all your teeth. Brush them regularly, floss between them to the best of your ability, and try not to bite down on solid objects like pencils or jawbreakers. Your dentist will give you specific care instructions to get the most out of them.
If you’ve lost or damaged a tooth, a crown or bridge can preserve your full smile for a long time. To get fitted for a crown or bridge, call or schedule an appointment online at Aesthetic Dental Centers today. We proudly serve in Hackensack County, Morris County, Bergen County, and Rockland County.